Sunday, July 15, 2007

Missionaries


Today Josh Payne preached at my church. And Chris designed this awesome bulletin cover for today. Josh will soon be leaving for Russia again. I knew Josh from college, but I wouldn't say we new each other very well. It was still very nice to hang out with him today. After service all of us went to Ponderosa for lunch. Then we took a walk in downtown Bay City. We got to see the Appledore IV dock. It a tall ship that you can take a tour on and I guess sometimes they have meals on the ship, too. Then we went to the really huge antique mall. It was a fun afternoon. We don't have too many friends around where we live, so it was nice for a change.

When Josh went to leave, Ella was so upset because she said she wanted to play a board game with Josh. I think that she assumed we would because when we have missionaries over to our house we usually do, but we went out to eat instead. She was heartbroken. She loves missionaries.

Actually we all do. Most of our closest friends in the Michigan District of the Assemblies of God are missionaries. It is really kind of fun, but yet sad when they leave for years at a time. I really hope that we get to be missionaries someday. Chris believes he is called, but not sure of the timing. We both feel very strongly called to Sebewaing right now; and for the foreseeable future. I would like to be hear at least ten years. I used to say 5, but it has almost been 4 now and I want to be here longer. I think I could be called to missions. I don't really have "moments" when it is clear what God has called me to. I look back and realize that God was calling me my entire life to be a pastor's wife and a pastor. It's a slower process for me, I guess. I just really hope we get to be missionaries someday. I went to the Philippines last summer and I wish I could go back. I wish I could go on another missions trip to almost anywhere. I had such fun.

While we were in the Philippines, we taught a seminar for pastor's wives. The theme was joy. I led a workshop on joy in difficulties. I told a lot of personal stuff, but I am so glad I did. What God told me to say; what my difficulties were, really encouraged the ladies. I'm so glad. They didn't really expect much during my workshop. They thought I was too young to have difficulties. Sometimes I wish they were right! But God used me to bless and encourage them. That is the kind of ministry I would love to do. The missionaries that led our trip, Dave and Debbie Johnson, have that kind of ministry. From what I saw, they encourage and help the local pastors. There is a General Council of the Philippines, but they aren't really in it from my understanding. They are there to be pastors to the pastors. I love that idea! And I'm not really great at street witnessing. I like talking to people, but I need to work on getting around to talking about Jesus. I think that I would really excel at a job of encouraging others, though. I guess I will just keep praying that God guides my steps and that I will obediently follow Him, even if it's not to the foreign mission field.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way! I think I met Josh last night at a birthday party for Jen Anderson who graduated from CBC. I didn't get to talk to him much.

redheadrev said...

Wow! It's a small world. He mentioned going to a birthday party.