Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Why, Jesus?

So, I was studying for my sermon last night and this morning and I had to question something Jesus did.

1 After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2 He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3 Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. 4 Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road. 5 "When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.' 6 If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house. 8 "When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is set before you. 9 Heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The kingdom of God is near you.' 10 But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, 11 'Even the dust of your town that sticks to our feet we wipe off against you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God is near.'

16 "He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." 17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." 18 He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

Luke 10:1-11, 16-20 NIV

Why did Jesus send these people out? Wasn't he getting well known enough without additional help? Of course I realize that any publicity is good publicity, but I still could not see a practical reason behind what he did. I'm a very practical, reasonable person. Things should always be reasonable and practical. I am a practical preacher, as well. This is a very good thing because my hubby preaches very philosophically. We balance each other well. Anyways, I realized as I continued to study,that there is a very good reason that Jesus sent these people out. He sent them out to advertise, but also to see which towns would listen to him. If they did not listen to those he sent out, he knew they would not listen to him. At this time, Jesus' last year of ministry, Jesus was running out of time and wanted to use his time wisely. The disciples went out, returned and reported back where Jesus should and should not go. That is very practical.

After that I got to wondering what this meant for us. Jesus has sent us out. What is the reason? We are to proclaim him and prepare the way for his second coming! He knows everything, but through our trying to preach to others, he knows who listens and who doesn't. When he returns, those who do not know him as their personal savior will be cast into hell. Those who do, will reign with him on Earth. What a great calling! And what great power we have at our hands to fulfill our calling!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray that God's Spirit is upon you while you preach the message on Sunday! I love what God is brewing up inside of you!

I sometimes wonder if Jesus sent them out for training or even as a push to do what He has been doing. Hmmmm.......now you got me thinking. :)